- Food processor or blender
- Baking dish: Muffin, square, etc.
- Black beans: ~ 1 3/4 cups, recipe or canned (well rinsed and drained)
- Flaxseed meal: 2.5 tablespoons
- Water: 6 tablespoons
- Coconut oil: 3 tablespo0ns , melted
- Cocoa powder: 0.75 cup
- Sea salt: 0.25 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon, pure
- Sugar: 0.5 cup
- Baking powder: 1.5 teaspoon
- Optional: chopped nuts (IE: walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, almonds), or chocolate chips – 0.25 cup
- Grease the baking dish with olive oil or butter
- Combine the flaxseed meal and water in the bowl of the food processor
- Pulse a couple times and then let rest for a few minutes
- Add remaining non-optional ingredients
- Puree for ~3 minutes, scraping down sides as needed. See Tips
- Evenly distribute the batter into the baking dish, smoothing the tops
- Optional: Top with the optional ingredient(s)
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Bake for 20-26 minutes, or until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides.
- Place the baking pan on a rack to cool
- When the pan is mostly cool, cut into bars
- If the batter appears too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water before pulsing again. It should be slightly less thick than chocolate frosting, but not runny.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a few days, or in the fridge to keep longer.
- Adapted from Vegan Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies