- Tapioca pearls/boba: 50 g (dry weight)
- Milk: 10 oz/300 mL, warm
- White sugar: 6 teaspoon/24 grams
- Nutmeg: 0.25 teaspoon
- Egg: 2, see Tips for substitutes
- Rum: 1 oz/30 mL, spiced
- Add nutmeg to warm milk
- Add tapioca to glass
- Pour water in to saucepan – just enough to cover the bottom
- Sprinkle in the sugar – do not stir!
- Heat at medium-high until water has boiled away
- Turn down the heat to medium and watch for the colour to change a dark golden brown
- Pour in the nutmeg infused milk
- Whisk until the milk has been imbued with the caramel
- Turn heat down to medium-low
- Add the eggs to the milk/caramel
- Stir until hot (not too hot or you’ll end up with scrambled eggs), and slightly thickened
- Add rum
- Pour saucepan contents into glass over tapioca
- Alcohol is addictive, laden with empty calories, and socially complex. Be careful™.
- Tapioca/boba is a plant starch – it’s both vegetarian and gluten free
- Eggs are not technically animal flesh. Substitutes are covered here.