Bananas take the place of sugar, eggs and fat in these vegan snack bars.
- Mixing bowl
- Oats: 2 cups, rolled
- Dates: 0.25 cup pitted, chopped & dried
- Bananas: 2 large, very ripe (see Tips)
- Vanilla: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 0.5 teaspoon
- Spice: Nutmeg or Cinnamon
- Optional: chopped nuts (IE: walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, almonds) – 0.25 cup
- Grease a 9×9-inch square baking dish with olive oil or butter
- Peel the bananas
- Mash their flesh in a medium mixing bowl. Mash very thoroughly until no large chunks remain; the bananas should be essentially liquid. You will have between 1 cup and 1 1/4 cup.
- Stir in the vanilla
- Stir in the oats.
- Stir in the salt, dates, and options (IE: nuts)
- Pat the thick mixture evenly into the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg or cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the edges just begin to crisp up
- Place the baking pan on a rack to cool
- When the pan is mostly cool, cut into bars
- Adapted from Healthy Snack Recipe: 4-Ingredient Banana Oat Bars