Bumble Bee Foods and two of the tuna company’s employees were charged Monday with willfully ignoring safety rules, leading to a plant worker burning to death inside an industrial pressure cooker in 2012, prosecutors said.
The San Diego-based company, former safety manager Saul Florez, and Angel Rodriguez, the director of plant operations, were each charged with three felony counts of committing an occupational safety and health violation that caused a death, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office.
Source: Bumble Bee Foods, 2 others charged after employee died in pressure cooker
This is the type of story that I always wish that I hadn’t read after I’ve already read it.
Things like these happen from time to time. One of my rugby coaches died, attempting to rescue two people from an enclosed space. They had already succumbed to gas, and because he didn’t know (so he would have used breathing apparatus) he fell victim to the gas as well. The first rule of first aid training is to ensure your own safety – there’s nothing more sad than additional, unnecessary death because someone had an overwhelming desire to help.
Another sad story I heard was how some pools of water are quite hot due to the hot springs or fissures in Yellowstone National Park. Someone’s dog jumped out of the vehicle, entering the water. The owner followed when they heard the dog yelp. People tried to stop the owner, who then dove into the water.
This is why I struggle with the idea of pursuing water related first aid. I’m a strong enough swimmer, for myself. But having experienced my lungs fill with blood due to blood thinner complications and stress while swimming – I have to remind myself I’m likely to be putting everyone in danger.